FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA credit cards, except Executive. (2013-2014)
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:54 pm
smithla02

Hey guys. I was wondering if I could get your advice here.

I have two personal Citi AAdvantage cards currently open:

AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature -- opened on 03/2012
AAdvantage Gold Visa Signature -- opened on 04/2012

I would like to apply for the AAdvantage Platinum Select MasterCard to get the 50,000 mile bonus. It has been 31 months since I last applied for a Citi card, so I think I should be in the clear in terms of the waiting period.

I have read the Wiki thoroughly but I wanted to ask for your opinion on whether or not I need to close my "Platinum" account (or possibly both my "Platinum" and "Gold") before applying for the new card.

The currently Citi policy states "This CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ card offer is only valid for new applicants for a CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ account made pursuant to this offer and is not available to existing cardmembers or recent applicants for a CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ credit card."

The Wiki claims that you do not need to close existing cards before applying but the language in the policy seems to indicate otherwise.

I am slightly hesitant to cancel the cards because I don't have a very long credit history and these cards make up about ~$10,000 of my ~$30,000 in available credit.

Any advice on what I should do? And / or which specific link I should use to apply for the card?

Thanks again.