FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Amex Blue (2013-2014)
View Single Post
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:48 pm
Marathon Man
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
my wifes acct was shut down just after she had made a purchase. She was hitting the same numbers as always.

She was waiting on $5k+ of CB which would have posted a couple days after the 27th, as per normal.

Then, this month, to date she was just a hair under that today when it was shut.

So we are lookin at $10k.

We just spoke with Amex.

Reason for closure:

You repeatedly used the Blue rewards feature of the card for purchases which are not consistent with personal, family, household use. Such purchases are ineligible for rewards under the T&Cs of the card agreement

CS points and rewards:

"Once a card is closed, rewards are forfeited."

RAL (responsible Lending Action) dept (credit area):

Cannot reinstate card due to above reason.

My plan:

1) Keep trying to argue w amex. Will likely give up soon with that though.
2) File with Small Claims court. This is bait and switch. I will argue they closed it JUST BECAUSE I was so close to getting the first $5k and would again get that ammt.
3) This activity IS very much consistent with this acct and our household since GCs were allowed with PINS and even before that! (I was using the other amex blue 6x before that April day) and we do not have a business, so this is for our household indeed.
4) Amex closed peoples accts without warning or FR because they did not want to pay any rewards. Again, bait and switch.

Other less popular option: I happen to owe that card like 412k. I will pay them $2k and they can stuff it.

more later.

Why did this happen?

Well, maybe AMEX sees threads like these
maybe too many blogs spelling out EXACTLY what to get and why and maybe too many people in the ms space. Either way, MS dies with this for many people.

My own card has not yet been shut.