FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Opinion: New federal agency is doing a poor job of making flying safer
Old Nov 4, 2002, 5:17 pm
Spiff
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
You are correct on all counts except your last one: things have not changed. We are still the United States of America. The Constitution is still valid. The last time I checked, we did not negotiate with terrorists under any circumstances. Yet we now allow them to dictate what liberties we can and cannot have? And we allow them to make changes to how we treat guests in this country, the overwhelming majority of whom are peaceful, law-abiding citizens who treat us well when we visit their countries? I am deeply saddened by the terrorist events that have taken place over the last quarter-century, especially in the last 13 months. But there is no way I am ever going to give in to these murderers and change my way of life and the American way of life just for the possibility of a little more safety and security.

Bruce is right: life is about taking some risks. We don't need a wet blanket of constant security wrapped around our throats. And we need to stop treating our airports like they're the one magical place where terrorism is possible.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Plato90s:
Let's see...

You don't like random checks, but you're also against profiling.

You don't want air marshals, and you also oppose arming pilots.

Exactly what kind of security measure do you support other than "trust the mob of passengers", which has had the proven effect of killing everyone on board.

Oh, I know. You've already said it.

"Go back to pre-11 Sept. security."

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/004805.html

Your claim of "not advocating elimination of all security" is laughable given that your proposal is to basically act like 9/11 never happened. The world is just the same as before in your view.

Even the terrorist assault on Bali didn't change your mind.

You are living in the "best of all possible worlds", and turning a blind eye to the stark reality that things have changed. I think it's time to grow up and stop living in the golden glow of things-that-was.
</font>

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry