FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2014)
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:29 pm
FrenchLaundry

Programs: IC Spire Amb, RC Plat, Shangri-La GC, and more.
Intercontinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco

Intercontinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco

What is your Priority Club status?

Platinum Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes, but not perfectly.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
We booked a one bedroom suite, and were upgraded to the Presidential Suite!

How are the rooms?
As an example of the history of this hotel and suite, Nikita Khruschev stayed in this room during his cold war visit to the U.S. The incredibly rich heritage is impressive and was appreciated by us. As to the actual room - how can I put it? - I'd describe the suite as tired splendour. It truly could benefit from some rejuvenation, and even basic maintenance.

How is the exec. lounge?
Not purchased or offered to us. It is a lobby level lounge which I did see, and don't think I missed much.

What was your welcome gift?
Single 330ml glass bottle of Evian, plate of fresh fruit, and local chocolate.

What was good and what was bad?
Service by hotel staff was excellent, and I'm glad to have visited this landmark. The upgrade was an incredible treat. Yet... there are only two small public elevators that go to the upper floors, and the top floor is the "Top of the Mark" lounge. That lounge is quite popular - arriving back at the hotel in the evening resulted in us feeling uncomfortably trapped as there were long lineups (except they weren't orderly or actual "lineups") for the elevators, and quite a few of these folks were already somewhat inebriated.

Would you return?
I'm not sure.