FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting an extra $48 when closing capitalone card!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:47 pm
jeanie

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by paragffm
Will they let me reopen/upgrade without a hard pull now ? Also, I have an auto loan and a huge mortgage that I pay on time every month so I thought I'm good with my credit history. Will credit card stuff still matter in deciding my credit score?
You wouldn't have this many people suggesting you reopen the account if it wasn't worth it.

If it has been less than 30 days, there is a good chance they will reopen it. You can say you saw how valuable the card is, and changed your mind. Ask about the pull if you want. I would reopen regardless. I would also verify that the original opening date was on the account since it is the age of the account that is important to your credit score.

The pull is a short term consequence. This is a marathon, not a sprint. The big picture is more important than the pull here. If they do a pull, then consider it the price for the learning experience. There are worse things that can happen.

Finally, Happy has a good point. $48 is 1.5% of $3200. So if you have the additional 0.5% annual bonus, the entire $48 is probably the cash back from that transaction.