FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 4 continents, 8 countries with LH/CX/TG/SQ/NZ
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:02 pm
italdesign

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
VT Y, Tahiti to Bora Bora RT, 42,268 XPF x 2

Air Tahiti (VT) Y, Tahiti to Bora Bora RT, 42,268 XPF x 2

The only reasonable way to get to Bora Bora from Tahiti is to take the short and excruciatingly expensive Air Tahiti (VT) flight. It set us back about $500 USD per person RT, though does seem to keep the crowd away (more on that later). It seems it is possible to go by boat, but the schedule is unreliable and the journey can take days.

The VT website listed no contact phone # (I wanted to be prepared in case of IRROP). I did dig up a # and when I called I only heard a msg in French. My guess would be that the operators speak a little English, like many who work in the service industry in French Polynesia.

Here's a pic of Papeete from the air. Not quite the image conjured when one hears Tahiti.

The most important thing you need to know is the view is on the LEFT side of the aisle from PPT-BOB, so line up early if you care for that (it is open seating). The right side sees nothing of Moorea and only a small glimpse of Bora Bora, which I learned the hard way. Most of my view looked like this:

It's the opposite on the way back - you want to sit on the RIGHT side BOB-PPT.

The only view I got is the few seconds when we reached the Bora Bora airport.

Speaking of view, Bora Bora airport may have the best in the world:

I didn't escape the attention of the airport Hilton kiosk, where 2 lovely representatives were waiting for us with a flower neckless and greeted us by name.

Flower necklace on arrival

That put a smile on our face! They were aware of our intent to take the free Air Tahiti boat to Vaitape (which I emailed them the day before) - more on that below. We took our own luggage to the boat, just steps away from the luggage pickup so no big deal. The boat ride offered scenic vistas of the volcanoes:

Upon arriving in Vaitape, we took our bags and started walking towards the restaurant. Not before long the Hilton rep ran to us and offered to take our bags. Thank you! We had lunch in Vaitape as it can be much cheaper than eating in the hotel. The "fusion" food was good at Aloe Cafe, a 5 minute walk from the dock and cost about 2,000 XPF per main dish. Not the cheapest eatery by the dock (more on options later), but very good food. I had the seafood with garlic sauce, which was really good.

You can also stock up on drinks and snacks at Chin Lee, across from Aloe Cafe.

We finally made it to Bora Bora!

Last edited by italdesign; Aug 11, 2014 at 11:33 pm