FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 4 continents, 8 countries with LH/CX/TG/SQ/NZ
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:43 pm
italdesign

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Ac j, erj-175, ord-yul

AC J, ERJ-175, ORD-YUL

For booking information, see Chicago to Singapore via Europe, F ticket, 70,000 UA miles + $33 (pre-devaluation)

AC 7410, J
Embraer ERJ-175 | seat 2A
ORD-YUL
Friday, July 11, 7:30 - 10:35 am (2:05 hr)

ORD is an airport I avoid as much as possible. I had my worst delay there a few years ago, and every time I'm there it is a hassle. But that was in Y. Would flying premium make a difference?

The Marriott hotel shuttle dropped me in front of Air Canada's check-in station. The agent was only able to check my bags to MUC, while I was continuing into BKK and SIN. It didn't sound right and I did push back, but she was firm. I would later realize I should have been firmer - more on that later. I had entered my Known Traveler Number on the AC website about a day ago, and indeed my BP had TSA Pre-check, which invited me to the front of a lengthy line. Good turnout for my first TSA Pre-check experience.

Boarding commenced on time, though there was a 30 min delay once everyone was onboard. The system needed to be rebooted, which sounded like it could have been worse. My first class dream was now within reach!

This was actually my first premium cabin and I imagine it's as low key as it gets on this small regional jet. Nonetheless I was offered hot breakfast with fruits. While the hot food was rather bad, it served its purpose since I hadn't had hot food in almost 24 hours thanks to the Megabus fiasco.

Seat 2A was a single seat with window and aisle access. Since it was my first time in J I had no idea where to find the tray table. The man across the aisle was evidently more of a regular.

Upon deplaning, I checked with the AC transit office to see if they could retag my bag to the final destination. They refused at first but after some back and forth called LH (operating airline of the segment where the bag was checked to), who happily offered to retag. This was above and beyond for AC at Montreal to help and I appreciated it. Really, I should have pushed back at the ORD agent who checked my bag to a transit airport and escalate as needed. The luggage thing took 30 minutes and I was ready to take in the city.

Last edited by italdesign; Aug 8, 2014 at 4:50 pm