FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Poor SPG points value in Hawaii?
View Single Post
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:15 am
escapefromphl

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I can't speak for the other islands, but there isn't much of any sort of relationship in the quality v. value department on Oahu. The hotels aren't that great (a couple of them are pretty, but not luxury resorts). By the time you add the room rate and the extort fee, you've paid way too much. But that is HNL these days. Crowded.

I wouldn't use points for the airfare unless you're at some terrible peak season, because the redemption premium over regular domestic flights just isn't worth it, at least from the west.

Perhaps the OP needs to re-think the analysis process. I never think of "oh, I'm getting 1¢ per point, etc., value." I think "Do I want to spend $ now? Do I have a better need/use for my points coming up before I refill the bank?" (And similar)
I don't have a need to burn the points. I'm just doing the maths. I'm primarily looking at Maui, I really like the Westin Ocean Resort Villas, stayed there in the past, and I think its a great property. Perhaps the points are worth more at other times of the year but this is an example of September for the base room type (DELUXE STUDIO VILLA WITH ISLAND VIEW):

Lowest Standard Rate: $296 Prepaid or $339 refundable.
Cash and points: 15,000 Starpoints + $275
Hotwire: $180

Which would you choose?