FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Jul 20, 2014, 5:34 pm
WhatWhatTech

Originally Posted by greggarious
This is the account in question:
http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...g_account_faqs

They sign you up for a brokerage account at the same time, but you are not required to use it, and there's no fees/minimum balance.

Has anyone had success calling Schwab and asking for a new, EMV enabled debit card? Or will they make you wait until the card expires / is "lost"?

(I did this with my vertical ID when in college - many bars rejected the vertical out of hand so the day I turned 21 I "lost" it and got a new, horizontal ID )
Called Schwab today and asked for a chip card. That's it, no need to say its lost. If you do tell them its lost, then they are required to immediately cancel your current card, send you card with a new card number, and send you a letter with recent transactions to make sure your card wasn't used fraudulently. Definitely do not tell them it's lost.

And I asked the CSR if it was chip and signature or chip and pin and she said chip an signature. Then I asked whether it would work for terminals that only take chip and pin and she said "I have no idea". I'll post the CVMs as soon as I get the card in 5-7 days.