FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Around the World in 5 Boroughs: Join Us!!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:25 pm
thewayofthefuture

Programs: UA Gold 0.66MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
Meal #23 - Botswana

The UN is a big part of why a project like this is possible in New York, but I didn't expect it to become such an integral part of the process. If you've been following along you'll know that the search for Botswana's cuisine led me to their UN mission, where I met with a delightful woman who offered to prepare the country's national dish (seswaa) for us in her home if I could come pick it up. She also prepared a side of samp and beans, which she called stampa.

The weather was perfect for an outdoor meal, and bdnyc kindly volunteered the services of his rooftop and a bottle of pinot grigio (Sydney Ann, 2012). The seswaa, which I believe to be beef or lamb, was tender and juicy. The samp and beans wasn't particularly flavorful, but complemented the seswaa very nicely when the two were mixed together.

We didn't have enough FTers to finish everything, so we ended up taking the leftovers to the team at bdnyc's office, where the food and stories of the project were a big hit. The positive response from outside FlyerTalk has me again considering starting a blog for all this at some point.

Only a few photos from this one:

Samp and beans

Seswaa, remnants of

A post-it menu from the initial meeting with our chef