FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:43 am
JEFFJAGUAR

Originally Posted by architect1337
I'll be travelling to the U.S. In a couple of weeks so will be interesting to see how my UK cards work ( Chip and PIN)

Last time I was over, they took my card, swiped it and a receipt popped out. I signed the slip and they gave the card and slip back to me ( didn't bother to check the signature). I typically tipped in cash.

Overall though, I usually paid in cash as UK cards had a 2.99% fee. I now have a couple of cards with no foreign fees for swiping or ATM so will be using the cards a lot more in lots of different places ( restaurants, shops etc).

Anything I need to know?
99.9% of the time, unless you shop at Walmart, your card will almost surely be swiped. In many cases, for amounts under $50, you will not be asked for a signature. If you use self service gas (petrol) pumps, you may be asked for your zip code in which case you will be up the creek without a paddle although UK postal codes are the same as Canadian postal codes and some Canadians have discovered a work around (the numbers in the middle of the postal code I think). If you shop at Walmart, you will indeed probably be asked for your pin on an emv terminal you will be familiar with.

I think that's what you should expect.