FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Jun 28, 2014, 9:02 am
JEFFJAGUAR

Originally Posted by STS-134
Could it be that your card has an offline PIN (which USAA didn't tell you), which is different from your online PIN, and you were entering the wrong PIN? What happens if you put your card into an ATM and change the PIN, then go back to CDG?
Well I'm certainly not making a trip back to CDG to check this out, that's for sure. Nothing exists in a vacumn. Having read some of the things here, my feeling is that one needs a chip and signature transaction to change the pin on the chip to coincide with the pin I changed online which they didn't tell me about. So, and I was seething about the whole thing, what I should have done is tried the old pin in any event.

But it's water under the bridge now and as I've said, at least for the time being, I've resigned myself that the USA for whatever reasons, valid or not, has been pushed into adopting chip and signature as its primary and indeed probbly only cvm and as far as card is present purchases are concerned should not really matter (except for the oddball merchant here and there that illegally doesn't want to complete signature based purchases but the jury is still out on what is going on with unpersonneled kiosks.