FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:05 pm
JEFFJAGUAR

Here's the answer I finally got from USAA and I don't think a lot of people here are going to like it.

As of 25 April (that was the date mentioned), a business decision was made to change cvm priority to chip and signature on their world mastercard because...well there is no real because other than it was a business decision. The person, very polite I must say and I appreciate her efforts, said it had to do with the fact that in the USA (just as I supposed), chip and signature will be the predominant verification method and that mastercard wants it that way. She had no answer as to why my updated pin did not work in the kiosk at CDG.

I think we can all agree at this point that our transition to emv, at least for the time being in the USA, will be to chip and signature. At this point, I don't really think any bank will be bucking the trend. Other than UNFCU, there will be no (well DC but will they ever take new applications?) true chip and pin card in the USA. The questions remain just how much inconvenience might be caused at pos terminals where merchants are adamant they need a pin or at unpersonneled kiosks.

Over and out.