FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:40 pm
joshwex90
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by PhillyInvestor
This was recently posted here by an employee on the Barclaycard Arrival Community:

So they are using scripts and, unless I'm totally missing the point, the Arrival card seems to definitely include Offline PIN. Has anyone verified this using Cardpeek?
That's nice that they have clearly knowledgeable employees who are posting. The problem with that is that a consumer isn't aware whether the terminal is online or offline. If I change the PIN online and then head to an offline PIN, the old PIN and not the new PIN will work. There are unmanned online terminals and there are manned offline terminals (see France).

Originally Posted by alexmt
Amex chip failed at Carroll's Irish Gifts in Dublin, who swiped it, and at Isaac's Hostel, who had me pay with Visa. Isaac's was surprised as she thought they took Amex.
It failed at Carroll's with a swipe? Did a chip insert work?

Originally Posted by kayanco
Not so helpful if you're at an unmanned kiosk who refuses your card or the merchant doesn't speak English and/or doesn't really understand and doesn't really care