FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:57 am
othermike27

Originally Posted by kayanco
Hmm..I didn't get it...why should we care what is preferred?

I thought it means that whatever the terminal supports, whether it tries online or offline, the USAA card will work, and not get rejected in either case?

All I care is that my card should work in both cases, whether a terminal does online or offfline...isn't that the case for USAA MC?

Thanks.
Take a look at my post just upthread (#5142, I think) about the CVM list on my USAA card. The list is presented in priority order, so the card prefers to use offline PIN as its first non-ATM CVM. As I understand the process, the card and the merchant terminal "negotiate" down to the first verification method that both will accept. So, if the merchant terminal does not take offline PIN (encrypted or plaintext), but does accept signature, you'll be asked for a signature. In this case, the option of online PIN won't be considered. But the card might be accepted at another merchant that wants online PIN but won't take offline and won't take signature. Confusing, no?

Want a card that works everywhere you want it to? Good luck with that!

In Europe, I now carry at least 3-4 EMV cards of various flavors and hope that I can get something to work in any situation. As a backup, there's always my handy-dandy Rick Steves money belt with a wad of Euros or pounds or whatever. Have to keep some small bills in there though, since some merchants get crabby about making change.