FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:37 am
othermike27

Originally Posted by kayanco
Yesterday I asked USAA if their card does online or offline. Here is the response I received from USAA:

"The Chip and PIN card can use either an online or offline terminal for verification. As an example of an online terminal, but not limited to would be an ATM machine that connects to USAA. And an example of an offline terminal, again not limited to would be a parking lot that is not attended.

In addition, whether the transaction is processed through an online terminal or an offline terminal is based on what the merchant is using. So, if you have a concern as to which is being used, you may wish to consult directly with the merchant."
I suppose that's comforting as an answer, but it doesn't really answer our questions here, does it? It seems to verify that their card can do either PIN CVM, but doesn't tell us which is preferred, or how they rank against signature verification.