FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Most beautiful airport approach award
View Single Post
Old May 15, 2014, 3:40 am
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Two of my favourite airport approaches are there, NCE as the winner obviously, but also LCY as a 9th. I also love the approach from the East to LHR flying along the Thames, and SYD, and I would love to be able to redo the old Hong Kong airport or THF which I loved with a passion. I've never been to Madeira but heard that it is a very impressive approach as well.

My favourite approaches (always as a passenger I'm afraid even when it was on a Cessna with a known pilot), however, was a small island in the middle of nowhere in Arnhem land (Northern Territory). In a way, nothing can beat the feeling of landing on a tiny red earth strip surrounded by the genuine danger of the turquoise waters (especially if one were aware of the tons of sharks and crocodiles that live in there, but i only realised after we landed. I've said it many times (I'm getting old ) but to me the view out of the window beats any mega-choice entertainment, and the hiccups of a tiny turboprop beat the "you can't feel you are flying" comfort of A380s and 787s - basically the smaller and bumpier and lower flying the plane the better if you ask me!! Maybe it is because I love that "flying feeling" that I don't get that fed up with my clearly excessive work-related travelling.