FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I've Grown accustomed to your Nose - A RTW in F On OneWorld
Old May 6, 2014, 3:07 pm
Moomba

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Part 24 JFK-LAX-PBI-LAX

After a couple of days in the big apple, sleeping off a cold and shopping it was time to once again make my way back out to JFK. This time I opted for a cab and the journey was somewhat quicker and more pleasant than the journey into the city.

At JFK I walked up to the AA first and business class check-in area and asked the agent to check my bag through to LAX only. I wasn’t really looking forward to this next round of flights as it was a bit of Moomba madness in the form of 3 transcons in one fell swoop.

After ensuring my bag tag only said LAX I collected my three BPs for the next flights and then proceeded to fast track security. There were two lanes of x-ray machines that funnelled down into one scanner machine line. Nothing was moving at any pace at all and even after queuing to be zapped I still needed to wait for my bags to appear.

After dressing again it was time for a visit to the Flagship Lounge. Inside the agent gave me the electronic key for the First lounge and I went on inside. Lunch was being taken away and afternoon tea was being set out as I arrived. This included two soups, chicken noodle and minestrone, small wraps, rolls and sandwiches and some cakes.

I grabbed a Sam Adams and some soup and sat and looked out over the apron.

Apron View From AA Flagship Lounge JFK

There was plenty of evidence of old and new AA and I could see Manhattan in the distance.

New & Old AA Tails

As usual, and I probably don’t really need to say this anymore, I left the lounge early and walked down to the last gate in the midfield terminal where my flight was due to leave from.

I stood around for a while before F and military in uniform were asked to board first. My BP was checked and down I walked to my first experience of the new A321 transcontinental AA service planes.

Flight AA0181 JFK-LAX Seat 1A (First)
Aircraft: A321
Departure time: 17:00

My jacket was taken from me as soon as I took it off and I settled into my seat. The seat is very similar to the new J international seat on CX although they seem to be squeezed closer together and the entrance to the seat was quite tight. The seat suffered from the same problem as being quite restrictive at my right shoulder. Row one also only had one window unlike the rows further back.

AA F Seat

AA F Seat

AA F Seat

AA F Seat

AA F Seat

At the seat there was a blanket and pillow wrapped in plastic and an amenity kit with Akhassa Retreat products was in the seat shelf.

An AA branded BOSE headset was handed out on the ground and I was offered a pre-take off drink that I declined.

The captain announced a flight time of 5 hours and 45 minutes to LA and we pushed back at 16:56. The F purser took meal orders starting at the back following FEBO practice. This is not an issue these days as one can pre-order the meal on AA.com.

Menu

I had done so and the crew member confirmed my choice and also asked what I would like to drink after take off. After a long taxi to the runway we took off at 17:31.

As with AA flights the captain waited an age before giving the crew the ding to let them go about their job and then another age before the seat belt signs were switched off.

The drinks and warm nuts were first out and of course back to form I chose scotch and dry ginger. After finished both I was offered more of each and I accepted more of each.

Scotch & Nuts

The crew were in no hurry to get the dinner service started that probably suited the 17:00 take off slot well.
I checked out the IFE and the flight map option had a load of variations that you could cycle through including a nifty cockpit view.

IFE Screen

The crew eventually came out and set the table out with two tablecloths, as the tables were quite large.
The salmon starter was then served individually with a single fork,

Salmon Starter

The salad was up next and I was offered the Caesar or balsamic dressing. As usual I went with the balsamic dressing. I was drinking the Sauvignon Blanc wine with the meal and there was no shortage of top ups during the meal.

Salad Course

I went boring again with the beef encrusted with gorgonzola. It was a little over done but tasty none the less.

Steak Main Course

Finally the signature ice cream sundae was offered or fruit or cheese. I opted for a simple sundae with butterscotch sauce and nuts. It was delivered sans nuts but I didn’t bother pointing this out.

Dessert

I watched Saving Mr Banks on this flight after the meal. Before touch down the smell of baking cookies wafted through the cabin and before long the crew came out with a selection of either chocolate chip or cranberry and white chocolate. I went with the latter.

Around an hour out of LA I was relieved of the BOSE headset just watched the IFE flight maps display until landing at 20:03.
I thanked the crew on the way out and was surprised when the lead FA thanked me by name.

We had pulled up to the gate closest the terminal building and it was a short walk down to the baggage carousel.
The bags started appearing within 5 minutes of my arriving and I was relieved to see mine pop out of the chute.

I walked outside and awaited my bus to the Four Points that would be the home for my suitcase for the night. After checking into to the upgraded suite room I took a shower and checked email before taking a much lighter loaded back pack on the bus at 22:00 back to LAX for a midnight run to West Palm Beach and back.
Well an epic fail from me on this next two set of flights as I was too tired and too bunged up to bother with photos or a detailed report for these two fights.

Never the less here is the brief synopsis of events.

I already had my boarding passes so I headed straight up to security that at that hour of the night was empty.

I waited in the flagship lounge sipping on sparkling water until time for my flight. The flight had posted an early departure time 15 minutes earlier than scheduled.
I went to the gate to wait boarding that was done with First being asked to board before a call for others.

Flight AA2366 LAX-PBI Seat 4A (First)
Aircraft: A737-300
Departure time: 00:05

The crew welcomed me on board but no drink offers were made.
We pushed back before twelve and took off just after midnight at around the original push back time.

The crew confirmed my preselected meal and the usual AA service of drinks and warm nuts preceded the meal service.
We touched down a little early into PBI airport where I waited for the return flight on the same plane.

A boarding announcement was made for First passengers but they hadn’t finished dealing with the many wheel chair passengers, including one from down the back who seemed quite spritely and managed to walk without problem up to the First loo several times during the flight.

Flight AA2357 PBI-LAX Seat 4A (First)
Aircraft: A737-300
Departure time: 08:50

The first cabin was filled with many older folk and the usual people on business including the woman in the bulkhead seat in front of me who seemed to think it was OK to put her laptop and handbag under her seat in my foot space.
Drinks were offered on the ground this time and we pushed back pretty much on time.

The flight was around 5 hours again and followed much the same order as the previous night except the drinks and nuts was replaced with drinks and biscotti.
There was a menu handed out on this flight unlike the flight to PBI.

Menu

Prior to landing cookies were again offered. We touched down on schedule at 11:35 and I once again made my way back to the Four Points where I worked on this report.

I got a call from housekeeping asking if I was checking out today and I confirmed I had a 4pm check out time.
Why is it housekeeping are never informed of late check outs and always are trying to get people out before they want to leave? The same thing just happened at the Sheraton LAX, which was my next point of call.

I walked my bag the one block over to the Sheraton where I was given an executive suite. I find it off they have these suites in the centre of the building with the ice vending machine right nearby. It wasn’t particularly pleasant but had nice views of the runway at LAX and was cheap enough.

Next up the flight back to the UK and a snafu with BA

Last edited by Moomba; May 18, 2014 at 3:00 am