FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is "CBN" ?
Thread: What is "CBN" ?
View Single Post
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:18 am
jake108

Programs: AA Plat,AS MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat, Amtrak(all routes, VIA same, AUS 90%)
Slightly off-topic but

Originally Posted by AlanB
At the moment I can't for the life of me think of what CBN actually means, but it's got something to do with the Canadian Border. When that train crosses the border into Canada it stops running with Amtrak crews and starts running with a crew from VIA Rail, Canada's version of Amtrak. The train even gets a new train number when it crosses the border.

You however don't even have to move out of your seat. They do customs right on board the train, the new crew boards the train, and off you go in the very same car.

You will also get two tickets, one to hand to the Amtrak crew, one to hand to the VIA Rail crew.
Couldn't resist- when taking the old Montrealer and living in NYC I would go to DC for the beginning of the trip. The border crossing at Rouse's Point, C&I would knock at bedroom door, me:"Entree SVP." Very European, always full of intrigue to see the pax taken off, refused entry into Canada.

That train had the most amazing club car: an upright piano to accommodate musicians with gigs NYC, etc. Alas, all gone now.