FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Radisson Aruba Review
View Single Post
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:44 am
jhuck

Programs: AA,UA,BA,SPG,IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, UR, MR
Originally Posted by vic2010
My wife and I stayed in Feb for six nights. It is a nice property, and has a good beach location. We stayed the first night at the HI, and it is a dump in comparison. We initially were upgraded to a partial ocean view, and paid points for the club level This gave a full ocean view, and lounge access. It was 30K a night, which is a bit steep. For a full family it may make sense as you get full breakfast, and evening snacks (with adult drinks). The breakfast brunch was about $40 for two, if I remember correctly.

We did the DePalm island which was a good choice. You get drinks and food included. Snorkel equipment, and tube ride. Just grab some fries when you snorkel and the fish will love you.

We also did the depalm offroad truck tour to the back of the island, and into the natural pool. This was nice to see the dry side of the island, and swim in the pools.

We did rent a car through Avis who was the cheapest, but a big pain in the butt. They rented our car before we arrived even though it was prepaid. We did travel the island and saw all the beaches. Baby beach is good for young kids, but if old enough to swim may not be worth the trouble to see. We rented snorkel equipment outside the hotel for a couple days and stopped at all the coves.

If you leave the hotel and go toward the light house you will see some public beaches before you go up the hill. In this one we saw as many fish as we saw on the island, baby beach or anywhere else. As I said take bread or something to feed them (I grabbed a few bagels at breakfast) and the fish will hang out with you till you get out of the water. You will see the snorkel boats all pull up in this cove. Other than that you can stay by the hotel and enjoy the water.

Food is a little pricey around the island. There is a giant grocery store on the main, on the right from the airport. If you can get back there to get food/drinks you can save a little. The lounge access will also help a great deal.

I am a gold via the CC credit card. Have fun.
Thanks very much for the helpful review. We also will be spending first night at HI, thanks to the recent ihg half off points for Caribbean hotels. Sad to hear it's a bit dumpy. Sounds like our next four nights will be at a great place, at least. We also planned on a Depalm island day trip, so glad to hear it was worth the money. Also are Gold thanks to cc and was hoping for potential upgrade, so that sounds promising. One question on Depalm island. Does the water park consist of anything substantial or just a couple of water slides, and suitable for 10-12 year olds? thanks