FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Not exactly an IDB, but what WAS this?
View Single Post
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:02 pm
blueway

Not exactly an IDB, but what WAS this?

My itinerary failed to complete after the payment process several times over a number of days. (The same routing and fare was available each day.)

By the time DL got back to me after I sent in an email, I had booked an alternate routing. DL said my itin was ticketed, but not yet confirmed.

I called in and eventually achieved contact with an agent. He was confused about the origins of this situation, but said he could fix it.

Unfortunately, when he cancelled the second itin (my alternate routing, which had successfully gone through), the DL system erased the first itin.

He said this happened because he linked them. He seemed to think he had to link them. (I have no idea if this is accurate.)

He tried to get my original itin and seats back, but because it was under airport control, a couple of other layers of mgmt had to be contacted. Eventually, someone higher up let him know they would not be giving me back my itinerary. He said he tried to explain the situation to them and that he was trying to correct a DL problem and now there was a new DL issue, but he was not successful.

The flight was in an oversold situation, which I interpreted to be the primary reason upper mgmt wouldn't correct the new issue. ( I'm wondering how much VDB or IDB compensation they saved because of my itin being erased inadvertantly.)

So... What happened here? Why?
If it ever happens again, how do I get the agent to not link the 2 itins and accidentaly delete the desired one?

I understand this doesn't fit the IDB definition, but it sure feels a lot like it (without the benefits, of course). Is this as strange a series of events as it seems to me to be? (I haven't flown a lot, but still....)

Thanks for any wisdom or explanation you can impart.

{I eventually flew out on a different date, on a 3rd itinerary.)