FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread
View Single Post
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:30 am
lewko

Programs: AAA
Originally Posted by M@rcoPolo
Don't forget they are chasing two separate sources and the ping #2 is the one that detected 2 separate pings so it could make sense if one of the black boxes is located somewhere between ping #1 and ping #2 and the other one in the middle of pings #2, 3 and 4...

Anyway what I find almost too good to be true is that looking at http://www.jacc.gov.au/media/release...l/mr_014-2.jpg all 4 ping detections are almost right on the "satellite handshake calculation" which I presume refers to the last partial ping. Surely this is either extremely lucky (no way the arc calculated thanks to doppler analysis can be so precise) or if this is indeed the final resting place of MH370 the location must be based on a more accurate data source that they are not willing to disclose...
My speculation is that the detection distance capability of the TPL is more than has been published. The plan was always to tow the TPL back and forth across the estimated flight path and hope they get lucky. Someone always wins the lottery.

I just wonder what the Chinese heard?