FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS Cuts 4 flights
View Single Post
Old Mar 28, 2014, 4:59 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by pdxray
The loss of PDX-ATL is a bummer, but considering a DL flight left Atlanta at essentially the same time, I guess I'm not surprised. It was normally pretty full whenever I took it, but maybe not profitable? Wish they would offer PDX-EWR instead. I'd rather them start adding nonstop service from PDX to some of these cities that only have SEA service, rather than just adding these new one-flight-a-day from SEA routes.
like I once explained before with a 737 on a long haul being "oretty full" or "almost full" might still lose money since they have to keep the fares competitive while having less seats available. I dont know the exact numbers but its possible running the flight at 90% full isnt enough load. DL can operate 757s at 90% and they still have more paying passengers on board than a 738 thats full and unlike a fully loaded 738 traveling that far that has to be filled all the way with fuel and has to use a 90% thrust take off, some 757 can use 3/4ths the fuel load and burn 70% thrust at take off. Thats the problem with just a 737 fleet running long hauls. If they arent full they dont make money. Its one of the reasons the 73G was a flop. Its a great small corporate jet for a company or billionare that wants a 737 but for commercial use even on a sold out flight that has the upper end of its range, the flight still loses money. For instance a full 73G flying ANC-ORD or ANC-DTW or ANC-IND would still lose money unless the fares were much higher than the competition, in which case they wouldnt fill it

Last edited by ANC; Mar 28, 2014 at 5:07 pm