FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Paying USA income, property or other taxes with a credit card
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:58 am
Soccerdad1995

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Should I use a CC to pay my taxes, and if so, which one?

I am getting ready to do my tax return and I anticipate a fairly significant liability ($20K - $30K). I am considering using my Chase SWA card, or possibly my Chase UA card, to pay this balance. I have a few questions that I am hoping y'all can answer for me:

Assuming a $30K liability, does anyone know the fee that I will need to pay when using a credit card?

If I use my SWA card, will the spend count toward CP eligibility (I have the personal Premier card)?

Alternatively, if I use the UA card I will get 45,000 miles (I have the Club card which gives me 1.5 miles per dollar spent). Will this be a better option?

I also have the SPG Amex, Amex Platinum, FIA Amex (2% CB), Discover, and Chase Freedom cards. Should I consider using one of these instead?

My initial thought is to use the SWA card and also shift most of my other spending to that card to try for CP eligibility. It would be tight, but I think I could get there without actually flying on WN at all this year. This will only work if all CC spending qualifies for CP eligibility. I believe it does, but please correct me if I am wrong.