FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Carry-on Items That Meets United's Sizer Box? Enforcement? [ARCHIVE]
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:22 pm
dorisrpas

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Originally Posted by swco
It may fit the sizer, because the way you pack...and that's good. But the bag is still not technically compliant to the actual dimensions they are giving us. Any over-sized soft-sided bag might fit (a trash bag with junk could potentially squeeze into the sizer) ... but few personal carry-on bags on the market (especially those designed for protecting laptops.) meet the actual dimensions they are demanding. If few manufacturers actually make compliant bags, then it's all a coin toss of whether we can squeeze the personal bag into the sizer, even in our best attempts to pack lightly. And that's why I said the rules (the dimensions) were absurd for the personal carry on.
You are right regarding the Western Flyer. For me, it fits in the sizer only because of how I pack it, because it is not technically compliant by measurements. I have amended my original post.

Although, it remains a very nice trash bag

Pics below.
- The Flyer without water bottle and paperback book in front pockets
- With my leather portfolio "standing" in the one pocket, obviously too tall for the sizer
- With my leather portfolio "laying" in the one pocket, extra flop of fabric over top, fits okay in sizer
- of note: I carry 14" Lenovo Thinkpad T410 with 9cell battery so just over 10" front to back

Last edited by dorisrpas; Mar 14, 2014 at 6:33 pm