FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA Agent Calls Passenger an Idiot; Wraps Himself in USA Flag, Flicks off Passenger
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:01 pm
chollie
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I agree, although my assessment of the "risk" posed by innatentive TSOs is somewhat less than the risk of being struck by lightening twice on the same night (and yes, I saw the recent Facebook viral video of a guy getting struck by lightning twice in a 30 second period). Not impossible, just highly improbable.

On another note, some years back my nephew, about age 10 at the time, took a bad spill from his bike and went to the hospital. His upper lip had been peeled back by the road and he had a bunch of tears where it met the gums. The doctor numbed him up, but good, and proceded to clip out damaged tissue and stich together what was left.

Meanwhile, an LPN who worked in the ER was holding his head still for the doctor. But this LPN was so disturbed by what was happening that she squatted at the head of the bed so the wound was out of her sight. All of this while the boy's mother and stepfather watched, and so did I, all without blinking, crying, puking, or turning away.

I was, frankly, digusted with this LPN's behavior. If the boy's family could watch it, a professional ER nurse who had never seen him before and had less emotional attachment to him should have been able to watch it. If she got that upset at a fairly minor injury, she would have been completely useless when a car crash victim came in torn to shreds.

I just hope she got out of nursing and into something less upsetting, like maybe the food service or housekeeping industries.
I'm pointing out that if TSA wants to accuse pax of putting the checkpoint at risk when their behavior is 'distracting', the the TSOs themselves should try harder not to allow themselves to be so easily distracted - let alone participating in distracting (for pax and fellow TSOs) behavior.

They're the ones who have pointed out the grave risk posed by a distraction at the checkpoint; I'm just taking them at their word and asking them to behave accordingly.

The LPN's behavior was completely unacceptable! It's fortunate that she was able to find a way to do what was required of her on that occasion, but she really needs to find another line of work. I hope the doctor follows up on this.

My niece (RN) was training a group of nurses in the hospital once. One of them kept playing with her cellphone. She announced that she had no intention of working in a hospital, ick, she fully intended to work in a doctor's office, so she didn't really need the hospital skills.

As my niece pointed out to her, even in a doctor's office, sometimes things go wrong and if you are the nurse on duty, you had better be able to keep your wits about you and do your job.