FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Paying USA income, property or other taxes with a credit card
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:59 pm
GetawaysRus

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Roka
Is there a way to avoid the two payments per provider per quarter limit?
http://boardingarea.com/frequentmile...-paying-taxes/

That's an older post by Frequent Miler, so the techniques for earning 5x that he discusses are now kaput, but if you read down you will find the following:

Another option was presented to me by Official Payment Corporation. They told me the following in writing (email writing, that is):

If you need to make more than two payments for each quarter, please contact Official Payments customer service at (800) 487-4567 and an associate will be able to assist with processing additional payments.

I called their phone number to confirm this. Could I really make more than two 1040-ES payments per quarter by doing so over the phone? “Yes, no problem,” I was told. Interesting. Official Payment Corporation charges 46 cents more than payUSAtax per debit transaction ($3.95 vs. $3.49), but offers a way to make as many payments as you’d like.

FM is discussing using VISA debit cards to make estimated tax payments. VISA debit cards are still around (such as the OneVanilla VISA gift card), usually in denominations up to $500. But I have no idea if Official Payments would accept multiple payments using larger denomination instruments than a $500 VISA debit card.

By the way, today is March 1, so it is now possible to make 2014 Estimated Tax payments online.