FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Around the World in 5 Boroughs: Join Us!!
Old Feb 24, 2014, 11:58 am
thewayofthefuture

Programs: UA Gold 0.659MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
Meal #15 - Barbados

A few months ago I relied on outdated information from the internet and arrived at our Armenian lunch 3 hours before the restaurant actually opened. Since then I've been vigilant about verifying hours of operation. Naturally the one time I let down my guard would be the time our lunch is scheduled at a restaurant that no longer exists, despite their functioning website.

Fortunately I knew of a couple of other Bajan options, so we waited for a few minutes to see if any other FTers would be joining us, then got back on the 5 train and headed to Cock's Bajan Restaurant & Bakery, which does still exist (without a website), in Crown Heights, Brooklyn.

Our persistence was rewarded with one of the project's best meals to date - flying fish with cou cou (the national dish), accompanied by macaroni pie with plantains and some kind of chicken gravy, as recommended by the staff. Also suggested was "puddin and souse", a dish that lets no part of a pig go to waste, but I wasn't able to work up the courage on this day. The restaurant itself was adorned with faded photos of Barbadian politicians, a framed map of the country, and a radio blaring static, perhaps still tuned a station from back home.

Exterior:

Beverages:

Menu (sorry about the glare):

Macaroni Pie:

Flying Fish & Cou Cou:

Last edited by thewayofthefuture; Feb 25, 2014 at 1:54 pm Reason: words