FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Last Push! 700TP to BA Gold with AA and Openskies in C!
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:20 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Arriving back at the airport, it was straight to check-in, where I checked my bag. The agent took one look at my ticket and queried if I really wanted to go via Newark. A few taps later, and she had found space on the JFK to Paris flight… Paris CDG - meaning it would be the AA flight. I declined (even though it would had been easier…) as I wanted that flat bed across the pond, and stuck with my OpenSkies itinerary.

A boarding pass was issued and a nice comment about the Pan American bag was made… and off I went to clear security. Even at 5amish in the morning, it was busy with the Team SFO opening extra lanes when needed. I was cleared quickly and headed to the lounge to wait the flight

Admirals Club

A beep of my boarding pass (with the BA Gold Credentials on it), and I was let into the lounge. There was only one priority at this time of the morning

Coffee! - Well espresso and lots of it!

I found a corner to work in and sat back whilst waiting for the flight. The lounge whilst not heaving, was quite busy as it was Monday morning and people were commuting all over from San Francisco to where they needed to be in the US that day

Meanwhile outside, a Virgin America Airbus A320 was photobombing the AA Lounge

Look at meee! I’m not American Airlines!

Food and beverage station

It was quite and relaxing enough - heck I Lost track of time. Thankfully, there was a call for Flight 24 to New York, at which point, the lounge emptied - me with it.

Through the terminal

Boarding was almost ready to commence when I got to the gate so there was time to grab a picture of the plane before getting down to the flying part of the day.

And also a first - my first AA plane with the new livery I’ve flown on.

Busy moments at the gate before boarding begins

A priority boarding and first class boarding call was made, and I headed down the jet bridge

AA24 San Francisco International to New York T8 JFK -
American Airlines Boeing 767-300ER with Winglets, New Colours
Seat 2A, First Class
210 Tier Points Earned, 2,572 miles flown, 2,572 +1,286+2,572 Avios Earned

I boarded the plane and was welcomed aboard. I took my seat at in the first row of business class - this time this 767-300ER featured the International cabin with wedige beds that I had on the way out from Paris. This time, the cabin was sold as a "First" Class cabin. Funny how American Airlines can re-designate a cabin type purely on the route...

Business/First Class Cabin loading

Seat controls

Bulkhead view

An interesting service happened whilst on the ground - pre-flight drinks. A nice touch.

The cabin again was full load in First - and judging by how many rollaboard were heading to the front of the plane - a full load in the back of the plane too.

On-time, our Boeing 767 pushed back, and the safety video played (Its starting to get to the point where I can memorise the faces and words that come out of each person's mouth in that video. Bad sign methinks... although I used to be able to do the first minute of the old United 767 IPTE video off by heart)

AirBridge away!

As the airport was clear of any fog and such, with a clear ride up into the air forecasted, the pilot didn't hang around. There was a wait whilst other traffic cleared allowing me to watch take off wars

After a short wait, the plane cleared the queue, turning onto the runway for a powerful take-offf out of San Francisco

With the colours so amazing, it was time to use the camera for what it was for:

With the flight scheduled for 6 hours, it seems the winds were with us, with 4 hours and 50 from pushback to landing

Menus were handed out for the service.

Whilst Mother Nature did her thing.

Food orders were taken, and Samsung Galaxy Tablets were handed out with Bose Headphones

Hot towels followed too

And yes, I was still watching Despicable Me 2

With Minion Phil at the front door.

Breakfast arrived with me going for the Omelette.

The breakfast offering wasn’t bad (compared to some economy class meals I’ve had Westbound or Eastbound), with the fruit fresh, and the omelette tasting of egg and its filling (and not burned). The chicken sausage was very much of a muchness and the biscuit… a very American thing (although I prefer my biscuits as chocolate digestives personally…)

The service was cleared down as the flight made its way across the United States of America, crossing off states quickly.

Time passed quickly on this flight as the cookies came around

And lots of clouds

As this flight was operated by an International 767-300ER, there was a downside of no GoGo internet connectivity - which annoyed a few people who were trying to connect in the air. The crew was proactive, checking for top ups as needed .

As I said, the flight was quick, as the plane begun its decent into the New York area. Our plane tracked past the cloud and past JFK, heading out for the Atlantic, for an approach over Rockerway Beach.

Cloud breaking - New York underneath

JFK near the cloud

Beginning final descent

That’s a cute plane in the clouds….

Gotta admit - I like this one.

Crossing Rockaway Beach

Landing was a typically a rather gentle affair, with our 767-300ER landing safely on the tarmac at JFK.

There was a bit of a delay of a taxi as the clock passed 3pm, but we were a full hour ahead of the nominated landing time, so I was feeling rather relaxed about the connection to Newark at that moment in time.

Overall: A reasonably competent service delivered well with a quick flight time. These things are good to me. The wedgie seat that AA have - I suppose I’ll never get on with it as finding a comfortable position in it for me was pretty hard. But for a daylight flight - not a bad choice at all.

Next: From JFK to EWR… Umm... Luggage belt... come on...

Last edited by Kevincm; Feb 21, 2014 at 1:26 pm