FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Barclays retention offers (all cards)
View Single Post
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:34 pm
nwflyboy

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Data point...Just got off the call.

I said that I wasn't able to justify the annual fee, and I have other cards that offer better points value, and US Airways was in the process of dissolving. Said I was thinking this might be the right time to cancel this card, but before making a decision on that, wanted to ask them if they could offer any incentives to keep the card open and use it more - credit for the annual fee and maybe additional miles.

First offer: nothing. No credit for annual fee, no bonus to spend anything. I pressed a bit, agent's response was that I would be getting a companion pass. I pointed out that that that would be coming regardless, that really was no incentive, and I pressed a little harder. Put on hold for less than 30 seconds, came back with the offer to credit the annual fee. Hmmm. Asked for an incentive to get me to spend more on the card. None offered. I asked again, politely but clearly: you have nothing you can offer as an incentive to continue spending on this card? Put on hold for about 10 seconds, came back with Nope, no additional incentives, just the annual fee credit.

Told her I would think about it. Will call back tomorrow and see if I get a different agent who is more motivated. Otherwise, I'm inclined to cancel.
Called back again today, and got the same: no offer at all. Pressed again, nothing. OK, time to cancel then. Dire warnings about losing all my privileges. Asked one last time if there was anything they would offer me to keep the card open? Sorry, sir, you already have the best offer.
Hah. OK, cancel it then. She did.

Card closed. Moving on to greener pastures.