FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Patagonia MLC
View Single Post
Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:19 pm
LordHamster

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Well, the new Patagonia Transport MLC just arrived in the mail. I've unpacked it and given it a first look-through.

Looks: I got the bag in black, and must say it looks really sharp/professional. I don't think a gate agent would give this a second look, and this bag would fit right into any Client Boardroom if necessary.

Materials:
The "Polyester Twill" material the bag is made of is very different than the Cordura and Ballistic Nylon most of my other bags are made of. The material is very soft and pliable. It has a much softer surface feel if that makes sense. It is the kind of material I'd imagine might stain or absorb water quicker than the ballistic. I'm glad I got it in black. Actual use will tell how it turns out, again, this is just my gut feeling without having used it.

The Zippers are YKK throughout, with a very beefy #10 YKK for the main compartment!

Size:
I doubt the 22x16x9 dimensions quoted on the site. The bag honestly looks like it is 22x14x9 exactly (though I haven't fully packed it yet). Standing it up next to my Ebags Mother Lode Convertible Weekender (unexpanded) the bags look to be nearly identical in size.

Weight: This bag is markedly lighter than the Ebags Mother Lode Weekender Convertible. The flexible material actually allowed the seller to jam the bag into a flat priority mail (fedex express style) box. by folding.

Straps:
As is common with these bags, the Shoulder strap included is serviceable, but will be replaced immediately with a Tom Bihn Absolute strap.
The backpack straps look to be of a nearly identical design to the motherlode, except where they attach to the bag at the bottom. They attach via a buckle rather than a hook. Unfortunately those backpack attachment buckles don't seem to stow or hide in any way.

Organization:
As indicated on the website, the main compartment is huge and accounts for most of the volume of the bag. The main pocked doesn't have tie-downs, but has a mesh cover which should act well to keep things in place. This bag seems best suited for use with Packing Folders or Packing cubes.
The main compartment also features a nice lid compartment with additional organization pockets.

Aside from the main compartment and the backpack strap stowage, the bag features 2 more pockets, both of which take zero space when not in use. In the back by the backpack straps is a padded laptop compartment, which serves to protect a laptop and also cushion your back (in backpack mode). The front of the bag has a full size (easy to access) compartment for storing nicknacks/electronics and papers. Quite nice.

The bag has a few more features, but in this first look I'm not going to describe it all. I'll make and post a youtube video as soon as I get a chance.

Last edited by LordHamster; Feb 2, 2014 at 7:07 pm