FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:15 pm
califina

I've been lurking here for a while, wanted to let everyone know that I just received a new Wells Fargo card in the mail that's priority 1 chip-and-signature, priority 2 chip-and-pin. It's a Visa Platinum which I didn't see on the spreadsheet, no annual fee, 3% currency conversion fee.

The significant thing about it to me is that I called a month ago to ask for chip-and-pin and they said it wasn't available (and oddly enough, the rep I spoke with was British so I didn't have to explain what I was talking about). I just called last week to let them know I'd be traveling in Europe next month and they offered to send me a new chip-enabled card when they heard where I was going. I was amazed. In the info sheet that came with it, it specifically calls out that "Outside the US, you may need to use a PIN at some payment terminals and unattended kiosks, such as the French rail system or gas pumps." I also received my PIN in a separate envelope.

In case it's too small to read, here's the link to more info that's printed on the sheet: http://www.wellsfargo.com/chip

Pic of the info sheet: