FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Planning Honeymoon to Kauai, Maui: Add a trip to the Big Island? Yes or no?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:34 pm
Ancien Maestro
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
While I agree with some of attractions to be seen -- except for South Point (and I'm not sure why the previous poster would suggest Waimea Canyon since it's not on the Big Island ) -- I would also note that none of those restaurants recommended will give you the slightest flavor (pun intended) of what truly local food is like -- particularly if you need to give some attention to budget realities. The same is true on any of the islands (although I know the Big Island much better than the others): you can eat amazingly well and in truly local style for 1/8 the cost of Kohala resort restaurants if you do a little digging and talk with folks who actually live or have lived there and don't just do "shore tourism."
Waimea canyon is indeed on Kauai, considered the Grand Canyon of the islands. It was North Kohala region canyons and the breathtaking views, that I meant to mention worth taking in.

In terms of restaurants, we may have different tastes.. I don't mind getting a bite at Pinetree Café, Big Island Grill, Sam Choi's, Hilo Bay Café, Solimene's, Ken's house of Pancakes.. don't get me wrong. We'll have to agree to disagree on the restaurants I've mentioned.. as local flavors are communicated through expert chefs throughout Kohala, and I find the food worth the bucks.

For example, the clambake is good value, as its all you care to eat maine lobster. The Mauna Kea Luau, depending on the week, you can get a coupon for half off second adult, which we took advantage of last time out. Previous discussions, of how commercialized luaus have become.. Mauna Kea does put out a nice traditional luau, which ends in a Vegas style coconut girl presentation (which I disagree with).

You've got Monstera, Hakone's (Japanese buffet Fridays) which is ok when it comes to Japanese food. When paying $10 per plate, the local restaurant can only do what they can do. But I find that you get what you pay for, if the research is done. You couldn't get into Merriman's in Waimea without a reservation several days ahead.

you've just discounted Blue Dragon, who's won accolades for some outstanding cuisine..

http://www.bluedragonrestaurant.com/