FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:26 am
tanktronic

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's well within the rules and fine with the Chinese officials, but you might have trouble with DL letting you board, as I did with this routing, even after a several day stopover in Tokyo.

Be sure to bring TIMATIC printouts with you and allow lots of extra time for arguments.
Thanks! We ended up routing DTW>PVG>NRT>DTW... I think this will make it easier to convince Delta that PVG is a "transit" en route to Japan, even though it's 2 days in Shanghai and 1 day in Tokyo.

As advised, I printed out the TIMATIC screen showing the TWOV details, I contacted the China consulate in Chicago but they only will let you leave a voice mail and - shockingly - the mailbox is full.

I'm also hoping, perhaps naievely, that since DTW is their Asian hub and my home departure airport, they'll be a little more experienced with this.

I'll also be arriving PVG and departing SHA, but everything I read said that's ok. Someone shout if it's not