FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Compensation for passengers affected by January 2014 winter storm
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:53 am
RickStevesWannabe

Programs: UA, ANA, BA
Originally Posted by bmg42000
Could it have been an airport curfew instead? BTW in 2007 I saw that the 15 inches of snow was coming and decided to be aggressive and booked another flight (on AirTran) the day before the storm and avoided all the cr*p. NY airports always screwed up even during the sunny days. Since I travel with a child, I would have changed flights once it gets to 9 pm (assuming there was another flight to change to). The problem is you have people complaining about when they cancel flights too early so this is a no win situation. Glad you got home ok and they paid for the hotel (and lunch).
Not an airport curfew, this was a crew curfew. Federal regs dictate that they couldn't work anymore after they timed out so they had to take a required 10 hours rest. That's what the Capt himself told us. I'm pretty sure it was out of the pilots hands since we left the gate and was heading to the runway. He was annoyed too. Honestly, I wouldn't want to fly in a plane with an overworked pilot anyway. It was nice that they paid for hotel and lunch... I just wish they did all of that sooner so I could've gotten more than 1 hour of sleep ^

That was a smart thing to do in 07. You couldve been one of those stuck on the tarmac for 10+ hours!