FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2014 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive
Old Jan 1, 2014, 11:27 pm
cricfan777

Originally Posted by rampartmovie
Ok I have applied for the following cards after extensive reading and am new in the app-o-rama field. Let me know if I have committed any mistakes.

1. Chase Sapphire Preferred (50K + 5K bonus) - Already have a Chase Freedom since 4 years. Will use this card to build up on miles and transfer to Southwest or UA.

2. Alaskan Airlines BOFA (50K - includes $99 companion pass) - Planning to use this for India travel (transfer to Cathay Pacific or Emirates or Air France). Or will use this for Hawaii trip for honeymoon.

3. Amex Blue Cash (Unlimited 5% after 6.5k spend - NO FEE card) - I thought I should mix some non fee card that I will never cancel. Already have a Amex BCE.

4. Chase Southwest premier (50K - $99 annual with 6k points on renewal) - This is the card I am thinking I might regret as I am hesitating to apply for the business card and go for the Companion pass. But I am suddenly scared as I never applied for Business. I guess I need some prodding. Can someone point to me if I am scared uncessarily? I don't have any home or mortagage plan for next 2-3 years for sure.

I tried to mix banks (Amex, Chase, Bofa) and cards(Amex, visa) and airlines (hawaii, southwest and ). Did I do good? Are my goals realistic? I would be grateful if someone could chime in and review my app-o-rama. I want to lie low for a quarter before I jump to newer avenues such as delta, UA specific and Chase BA.

Am i underachieving or overachieving and hurting myself? TIA
You should go after the Chase Southwest RR business card. Make sure u tell them u r the sole proprietor. Look around a few sites and they'll explain you how to sign up for one. Once u have a total of 110,000 miles, you'll get a companion pass until Dec 31st 2015. So the sooner u reach 110,000 miles, the more time you have to use it. The pass is redeemable even when you use points to book the 1st ticket. It's value is around 1.8c/mile so that's $1800 for your 110,000 miles + $1800 for your companion = $3600!!. And since you have the chase sapphire preferred card, once you are out of points, you could transfer some points from your chase account to southwest and get 2 tickets out of it.