FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Amex Blue (2013-2014)
View Single Post
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:31 pm
mithrin

Originally Posted by greggarious
So what would happen if I started buying Vanilla Reloads, funding my BB account with them, then writing a check to myself for the $$? Would BB close my account?

I did the math, and if you did the 5k limit per month, at 5% you'd make about $250 per month.

My main concern is spending the beans - I have manufactured to hit spending reqs before, but usually just 2-3k, and just slowly used that money to pay my bills, but with the amounts involved here I'd have to write a check to myself or something...
Given the level of spend you're planning, you might be better off with the Wells Fargo 5% card. The 5% is for the first 6 months, but if you start mid-month, you can cover 7 Bluebird months. If you can afford to stock up on VRs at the end you could extend it to 8-9 months.

Not as big payoff for the year vs. Amex, but you get 5% from day 1, and if you do get AA, instead of FR from Amex that could affect your other accounts, it's a warning or shut down from WF. I value my relationship with Amex MUCH more than WF.

I've already gotten through one 6 months offer with my spouse (older offer of 3x points) successfully with higher spending levels than yours. After the 6 months, I left the last month's charges on and am paying the minimum because it also had 12 months 0% on purchases. Current 5x offer also has that if you go with the points version instead of the cash one.