FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2013)
Old Dec 8, 2013, 3:09 pm
kleinms

Programs: AA Gold (4 life), Delta Platinum, Starwood Gold, IC RA
Intercontinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers

InterContinental Sandton

What is your Priority Club status?
Platinum Royal Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked basic room with BOGO for 2 nights and 5 nights on Points Break (5K/night). Received a suite for all 7 nights.

How are the rooms?
Separate bedroom and living room. Living room has a lounge and dining table for 4. Work station with 110volt outlet for US (very nice to have). 1 1/2 bathrooms with separate shower. Nespresso machine for coffee. Ample coffee and a few cookies provided.
Mini-bar is decent and restocked daily. Soda, beer, scotch (JW Black), etc.
Turn down service was good as they filled the ice bucket

How is the exec. lounge?
Given lounge access. very small. They still charge for breakfast, but not cocktail hour. I was with my 4 yr old so did not use much.

What was your welcome gift?
A 2GB USB stick in the shape of a gold bar. Very cute. Bottle of red wine (never drank it).

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Yes, replenished very 2nd day

What was good and what was bad?
Good
All RA benefits provided with BP stay.
Location - Sandton City shopping mall and Mandela Square are next to the hotel
Staff, very friendly and helpful. They go out of their way.
Room, well maintained
Service, staff go out of their way to be helpful

Caught the Gau Train from the airport to Sandton. The hotel will pick you up free of charge. They also dropped us at the train station on the way back to the airport at no charge. Just a tip for the driver. Great way to get to the hotel as you avoid the traffic issues. Half the stop lights in the city don't work. Makes for terrible traffic at peak hours.

Bad
Internet is terrible. I went and paid for better service, but wasn't worth it as it was also pathetic. Internet seems to be bad in SA in general. Don't believe it is a hotel thing. People had issues calling into the room from the outside. They often were often directed to the wrong room or it took forever, so i was told.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
Yes. incredible value

Would you return?
Yes. Last time I stayed at the Crowne Plaza, but this hotel is far superior. Had stayed here in the past and now I remember why. Really good IC

Last edited by kleinms; Dec 8, 2013 at 3:16 pm