FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2013)
Old Dec 6, 2013, 2:49 am
travelisfree

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes. Twas awesome

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked standard room on points and got a great suite the first time. And on the second stay got a nice club room and she apologized that they were sold out so no suites were availability. They were REALLY sold out so one should expect a suite.

How are the rooms?
Both rooms (suite and club room) were super nice. I imagine all the rooms are equally nice. Modern and African at the same time. Very homey and very large bathrooms.
The suite was really large, a xx56 I think and the living room was bigger than most jr suites. A real suite. Again, love the rooms.

How is the exec. lounge?
Meh. Not even I would eat dinner there. And I have low standards. Basically nothing but cheese and wine in the evening.
Breakfast is free for RAs in the lounge, room, or restaurant. So who cares about the lounge given that there's not much in the evening. If you're paying for that upgrade, you're getting well ripped off.
But the staff is clearly taught to watch after RAs very well.

Also, when we were on the 2755, the club floor, we walked by the front desk lady to go have breakfast and didn't take long but when we came back the lady had cleaned our room. Don't know if she did that on purpose, but it seemed so and I appreciated it as I need to work.

Did you receive a welcome gift?
Wine.
They forgot the second time as I checked in late. Didn't bother letting them know.

How was the minibar?
Liquor, 4 beers and coke. I guess it's normal but I don't drink much. So I like juice and stuff. No snacks to be had except some chips.

What was good and what was bad?
-Good
  • Suite
  • free breakfast downstairs
  • the rooms
  • the property and staff

-Bad
Really nothing, but do all your communicating with the club lounge person. They are very nice and really watch after you.
I wrote about the experience in the threat for the hotel. It was odd.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
30,000 points is a no brainer. Otherwise it was $300-$450! Plus, the suite the food... It was great.

Would you return?
I wouldn't stay anywhere else.