FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A slice of SYD and a morsel of MEL on NZ Y, QF Y, TG J, BR J
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:52 pm
lmwong1977

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
Intra-Sydney travel + Ferry

Did the usual tourist spots - Circular Quay, Sydney Harbour Bridge, Sydney Opera House, Darling Harbour, Paddy's Market, Botanical Gardens, and Manly Beach. Also stopped at ABC HQ to see the mini Doctor Who exhibit.

I had the Blue Mountains planned but the fires scratched that off the itinerary. Temps were mid 60s to 70s F while I was there with a bit of overcast before it was full-on sunny the last day.

I had 3 transportation cards while in SYD - Airport Gate card, MyMulti1 and MyFerry card and they were all swiping cards. I'm so used to flash or touch cards, it was a bit of pain taking them out of my wallet. I did see they are transitioning to a touch card called Opal soon.

I thought it was pretty interesting that on the older trains you could flip the seats so they're facing the other way instead of fixed seats.

MyMulti1 no longer cover ferries, you have to upgrade to the next two levels depending on how long the ferry ride is (Manly requires a MyMulti3). You can buy a one-off RT ticket if you only do a Multi1. If you ride more than once, upgrading levels is cheaper. The ferry reminded me of the Staten Island ferries as they have a very similar layout.

Had some kangaroo and emu pizza at The Australian Heritage Hotel. You order it from the bar and they bring it out to you. The emu side has the grape tomatoes. It didn't taste like chicken more like beef and had a slight gamey flavor. The kangaroo side tasted like steak. It was quite good. I was tempted to get a crocodile one, but it was getting busy.

Last edited by lmwong1977; May 19, 2020 at 10:23 pm