FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CC cash advance only option? (Chase)
View Single Post
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:35 am
lin821

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
And if I need to get cash via CC advance (yes I know, expensive, $4 per $50) is that done at a regular ATM?
Do you have the PIN? If I am not mistaken, you will need PIN to get cash advance via CC at ATMs.

Have you factored in the finance charges on cash advance? I seriously doubt it would be only $4 per $50, if you have made any other charge on the same card in the current billing cycle. Everything on that card will start accumulating daily interest from Day One you trigger cash advance. Not to mention Chase doesn't give low APR for CCs. Depending on how much cash you need, it may be more cost effective to have someone send you money from the States.

I don't know about Thailand but one thing that had worked for me in the U.S. was to get cash from the merchants upon paying. Ask the cashiers if they can add say another $40 to your $12 charge, so you'll have a $52 transaction on CC with $40 cash at hand (finance charge free). It won't hurt to try the same trick and ask some friendly merchants in Thailand. Good luck!