FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CC cash advance only option? (Chase)
View Single Post
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:41 am
forumpersona999

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Slight miscalculation of funds as I've discovered credit card acceptance in Thailand is not very high so running through my cash too quickly.
Interesting comment. I live virtually cash-less in Bangkok. Other than micro-transactions (street-vendors) and taxis the CC acceptance is quite solid. You can load your MRT/BTS tickets with a CC - even Amex! All supermarkets and cinemas and even public utilities are taking at least visa/master. Are you located in the province ?

Don't have an ATM card but have Chase CCs (and a Chase bank account back home).
Most ATM are connected to the Visa or MasterCard network. On the back of your CC you will find a bunch of logos. Either "PLUS" or "Jetco" or a Visa / Mastercard logo. Finding an ATM that will work is as simple as matching the logo on the back of your card to the logo on the ATM. If the card has a Jetco logo and the ATM does, too, you are in business. If is a Visa card and the ATM displays a visa logo, you are in business.

Here's the thing: If this card is also linked to your Chase checking or savings account in the US and it has a PLUS logo on the back, you should be able to go to an ATM with a PLUS logo and select "withdraw funds" and then select your checking / savings account. This would be a normal overseas withdrawal with lower fees than a cash advance from your credit card account.

Chase has an "office" in Bangkok. Can I access funds there or is that a commercial office? And if I need to get cash via CC advance (yes I know, expensive, $4 per $50) is that done at a regular ATM? Thanks-
I am not aware of Chase having any retail operations in Thailand. Highly doubt that there is anyone who can assist you at that office.

Interestingly they do have a price list for a bunch of plain vanilla retail banking sort of services on their website but the website only shows commercial, IB and private banking tabs for Thailand.

Last edited by forumpersona999; Nov 19, 2013 at 6:48 am Reason: Wow. JPM Chase do have local banking services, even BAHTNET in Thailand!