FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA credit cards, except Executive. (2013-2014)
Old Nov 15, 2013, 8:18 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brmass15
So....I want to apply for the Citi HH 10 days after the most recent application. My question is, should I cancel my first AA card to free up some credit in order to get approved for the Citi HH card?
No, it won't free your credit in time. It's likely to take 3 to 6 months after you cancel before the credit from that card is free'd up. (This is explained in the wiki, in item #4.)

On the other hand, if you don't cancel beforehand, you may be asked by Citi (during the new card's application process) to move some credit around onto your new card. They can do that only from a card that's still open.

So the proper order to do it in is to leave the old card open, apply for the new card, perhaps move credit from the old card to the new card during the new card application process phone call or online chat (if you're not approved automatically), and only then cancel the old card (after as much credit as possible has been moved off of it to the new card).