FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2013)
Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:09 pm
dgwright99

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
IC Sydney

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?

Yes

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked suite on BOGO and F&F, got suite with lounge access.
I confirmed the RA policy with the hotel ahead of time - they told me choice of suite or lounge (not both). Cost of suite was barely more than basic room + lounge, so I chose suite in order to be able to choose Opera House view (which also looks out over the botanical gardens - much better than Bridge view IMHO (and we got partial bridge view from our suite in any case).

How are the rooms?
A bit tired - upscale rather than luxury feel; the suites are a reasonable size, but the wardrobes make the bedroom feel a bit cramped. The living room is spacious, with a separate bathroom off the entry/hallway. What really lets these rooms down are the bathrooms - very dated, but perfectly functional (separate shower and tub).
iPod dock/alarm clock, middling sized flatscreen TV with decent selection of movies in the BR. Small but functional desk/work area in the LR. All outlets are standard Australian.

But the views are fantastic, and easily make up for the deficiencies.

How is the exec. lounge?
Fantastic - one of the best in the system. Views across the whole harbor - bridge, opera house, botanical gardens
Very good breakfast - extensive hot and cold buffet with eggs cooked to order.
Evening happy hour 5-7pm with a very good selection of canapes, plus cheeses, and gorgeous meringues - plus cocktails and some reasonable wines.
There is an outside balcony where you can sit and drink in the view for hours - while sipping on those evening cocktails.
If you use the lounge morning and evening the only meals you will need to pay for will be lunch unless you really want a big dinner.

Did you receive a welcome gift?
No; no fruit either. Decided not to make an issue of it.

How was the minibar?
Pretty good; half bottle of Mumm, plus 2 "airplane style" bottles of each of Shiraz and Chardonnay (shiraz not in fridge which was a nice change). 6 mini spirits including Wild Turkey, Chivas and Hennesey, plus beers and a good range of mixers and sodas.
Snacks were Pringles and some nice chips, chocolates and cookies.
Checking the bill on the TV, while on the BOGO part of the stay no drinks ever appeared, but the snacks did. Then when on the F&F segment drinks were there every day. But then nothing (not even the snacks) were charged on the final bill preview that came under the door the last night.

What was good and what was bad?

-Good
The view
The location
The lounge
Corner living room in the suite.
Great service - in the lounge and generally.
Room service meals were good value in light of cost of meals in Sydney. The butter chicken is enough for 2, and nicely spicy.

-Bad
The rooms really could do with a total refurb - especially the bathrooms, but I had done my homework and knew what to expect, so we weren't disappointed.
Instant coffee - seriously ? This isn't a Holiday Inn.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
We paid a little under AU$2k for 5 nts, which I rate is good value given the location and general cost of Sydney.
We will likely stay here if we return to Sydney - though the imminent new IC may change that equation.

Last edited by dgwright99; Oct 31, 2013 at 7:22 pm