FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2013)
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:19 am
vsevolod4

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
IC ANA InterContinental Akasaka/Roppongi Tokyo Japan

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes, but decidedly less so since they stopped Club access for RAs.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked standard, got junior suite.

How are the rooms?
OK.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A. They now charge 10,000 Yen ($100) as a "discounted" upgrade for RAs. It's not even close to worth it. I used to stay here all the time and they took this benefit away. I spoke to them again about it, no sympathy.

Did you receive a welcome gift?
Yes, some Japanese snacks.

How was the minibar?
Average. Other than beer, nothing Japanese. A single half-bottle of mediocre wine.

What was good and what was bad?

-Good
Good location and with the Namboku Line it has become more convenient to more parts of Tokyo.
Efficient. Even when Tokyo was closed for a half day during the typhoon, they had everything going.

-Bad
Very infrequent service via limousine bus to Haneda. Narita is much more convenient - go figure. Alternative is taxi hotel to Hamamatsucho (1200 Yen) and then monorial to Haneda.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
It was a decent rate (24K Yen) - prepaid, advance purchase. Best Flexible Rate probably not good value.

Would you return?
Don't have too much choice, but I continue to be pissed at the lack of Club access. I prefer the IC Tokyo Bay (which is generally cheaper but unfortunately far less convenient) and the more expensive Strings (but see that review).