FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Legality of the no-show cash fee policy for award bookings
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:36 am
fireworksboy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by saaru
I narrowly focused my question on the legality of charging a fee without disclosing it or without my express approval (I did try to cancel but didn't check to see if I got the email confirmation and it showed up as not canceled).
Well, if the no show cost was buried somewhere in the cancellation policy (where it usually is located in my experience) then by agreeing to the cancellation policy, you would have agreed to the no show charge.

Originally Posted by saaru
When I buy a plane ticket I agree to the pay the ticket price in dollars (cash) or points. If I don't show up for the flight they cant charge me the unrestricted fare price. Question is if this is legal and if its disputed in court whether it will stand.
But when you buy the plane ticket, you agree to the CoC of the airline. They are bound by it as are you. It may be extremely fine print and it may not be carefully explained but it's there and you've agreed to it.

All that being said, charging $400 to no show for a $100 per night hotel is crazy steep. If you were cancelling a 2. 3 or 4 night reservation that's one thing. If it was simply a one night reservation, that's another.

Which reminds me of my latest pet peeve - the early departure fee.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by fireworksboy; Oct 27, 2013 at 10:48 am