FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rumor: 2014 Marriott Rewards Hotel Category Changes?
Old Oct 20, 2013, 2:08 pm
craz
Suspended

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Unfortunately, no they don't. I do believe that each hotel has to make a certain percentage of standard rooms available for awards (but not all of them) and that they have to provide award rooms for every night (i.e. no Blackout dates.)

If I remember correctly, I think that Starwood compensates their hotels more if it reaches a certain occupancy level (i.e. 90-95% or something like that.) It may be possible that Marriott does so as well. If that is the case, then it may be in a hotel's best interest to try offer more award nights if it can help get the occupancy level above that threshold.
with SPG if the hotel ends up at that magic % then the Hotel gets the reg rate for the award rooms.

Even if MR does the same since they have no idea if they will reach that magic % #, why would they want to go down in cat to get more people to stay on awards, the chances are they wont hit that # and will end up getting less $$ from HQ. Yea during peak season it might work for them but overall I cant help but feel they end up on the short end of things

Hilton used tohave teh Diamond force even on Award stays and paid teh going rate to the Hotel instead of the few bucks they would have had to for a reg award stay. that went the way of the doo-doo bird, once Blackstone took over.HQ wasnt pay 1 cent more then they to