FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2013)
Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:27 pm
pyxis

Programs: QFF P1 / OW EMERALD, VA PLATINUM, ETIHAD GUEST GOLD, IC RA, HH DIAMOND
InterContinental Carlton Cannes

InterContinental Carlton Cannes

What is your Priority Club status?
Royal Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Overall, yes. A few little things that bugged me. Location was just fine for us, but a little bit of a walk from our favourite restaurant area (Rue Saint-Antoine). Grand property which private beach and lounge chairs. Nestled amongst the high-end designer stores.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked cheapest with breakfast daily on BPG (with a glitch, see below), received Executive Sea View Room with breakfast daily.

How are the rooms?
Great room - again, I love the traditional appointment of furnishings. Large main area with sitting area and small coffee table, king size bed, desk, large wardrobe for storage. Large bathroom. View was amazing, bay window with direct view of the ocean.

How is the exec. lounge?
No lounge at this property, which is a real shame, but a good excuse to explore some of the amazing restaurants in Cannes.

What was your welcome gift?
A small scented candle and a welcome card.

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Yes, a small plate of almost over-ripe grapes :-/

What was good and what was bad?

Good:
- Happy with the upgrade
- Breakfast was AMAZING, the best I have experienced
- Check-in and check-out was efficient

Bad:
- Wi-Fi did not work in the room. I was repeatedly advised that they were experiencing problems, and it would be fixed within 12 hours. It was never fixed throughout the duration of my stay, however, I could pick up the Wi-Fi 'Rooms' network when I moved to other areas of the hotel. I couldn't help but wonder if the network just did not reach our room (which was situated in a far corner of the property). Lobby Wi-Fi worked just fine, but not in all areas of the breakfast dining area.
- Mini-bar was modified - this is the first time I have ever experienced this. We aren't big drinkers, and at most, usually consume the sparkling water, perhaps one bottle of spirits and one soft drink. But the wine and champagne had been removed, which I don't think is acceptable when you are paying approx. $700 AUD per night. In the grand scheme of things, whats a half bottle of champagne to them? Chances are we wouldn't have even used it (didn't touch either of the two bottles in Paris throughout our stay), but just out of principle.
- Fruit - a small plate of almost over-ripe grapes?!

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
A little about the BPG - I received an email from the BPG team stating due to a computer glitch, the rate could not be adjusted by the hotel, and I would be re-imbursed directly by them after my stay (via cheque or transfer). The saga continues as we cannot agree on the amount to be re-imbursed. If anyone receives a similar email, my advice - insist the rate is adjusted somehow prior to checking in. This email was received over a month prior to my arrival - how could it not be adjusted?

Would you return?
For the breakfast alone - yes. The property is amazing and very impressive, and I quite liked the location. I would, although, explore other options in Cannes prior to booking this one, just to see what is available.