FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Australia & Fiji *PHOTOS* 29k Miles / 5 Carriers - WN Y, VA J, QF Y & J, FJ J, & KE J
Old Sep 26, 2013, 6:59 pm
FindAWay

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
26 Hours in The Red Centre - Ayers Rock (Uluru) and The Olgas (Kata Tjuta)

26 Hours in The Red Centre - Ayers Rock (Uluru) and The Olgas (Kata Tjuta)

Our first afternoon and evening in the Outback, we visited the park Cultural Centre, hiked to the Karu Lookout at the Valley of the Winds, did the Walpa Gorge hike, visited the Kata Tjuta sunset viewing area, visited the Kata Tjuta dune viewing area, and watched sunset at the Car Sunset area near Uluru. There is not a bad thing that I can say about any of these as we enjoyed them all. The only unpleasant things were the afternoon heat (~95 Fahrenheit) and the annoying flies. I like the Walpa Gorge better than the Valley of the Winds.

Photo Below: Karu Lookout at the Valley of the Winds

Photo Below: Walpa Gorge Hike

Photo Below: Kata Tjuta from the Dune Viewing Area

Photo Below: Uluru from the Car Sunset Area

Photo Below: Uluru after Sunset from the Car Sunset Area

The next morning before our mid-afternoon flight, we watched the sunrise on Uluru from the Talinguru Nyakunytjaku (which I think was more impressive than the sunset the night before), visited the park Cultural Centre (again), followed along the guided Mala Walk, and completed the Uluru Base Walk. The day was stunning and the only negative was the extremely slow pace of the guided Mala Walk.

Photo Below: Sunrise from Talinguru Nyakunytjaku

Photo Below: Uluru Sunrise from Talinguru Nyakunytjaku

Photo Below: Climbers beginning at 8:00am (We Did the Base Walk Instead)

Photo Below: Uluru Base Walk Map

Photo Below: Sun Rising over Uluru during Base Walk

Photo Below: Uluru Cave Seen during Base Walk

Photo Below: Uluru during Base Walk

Photo Below: Goanna Spotted during Uluru Base Walk

Photo Below: Hiking the Uluru Base Walk

Photo Below: Uluru as Seen during Base Walk