FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]
Old Sep 23, 2013, 5:40 am
MrMoonlight

Using airline fee reimbursement for eGC's not worth it

Although you can get $50.00 eGift Certificates with the $200.00 airline fee reimbursement, it's hardly worth it. You cannot do anything with them other than to apply them toward the actual airline ticket price, and you are limited to applying 3 certificates per ticket. Effectively, you are really getting $150.00 off the price of one purchased ticket and $50.00 off a second, assuming you use the reimbursement for four $50.00 eGifts..

This must be Amex/DL's thinking. They will let you get away with applying the reimbursement toward the low denomination GC's since you can only apply three per ticket.

I recently found out the hard way, when I was told I could not apply the GC's toward the fuel surcharge on an award ticket, nor could I use them to upgrade to economy comfort. I would have been better off keeping the $200.00 fee reimbursement and applying to economy comfort seating!

I can't remember the last time I actually purchased a DL ticket, so the eGift certificates may wind up going to waste.